Thursday, February 22, 2007

Inkscape Screencast 5 - Photo Popping Fun


I finally managed to find some time and figured out some (very) rudimentary video and audio editing skills so I put together my 5th Inkscape screencast. A few weeks back I read a post at instructables.com which described how to create a 3D effect with your photos using the GIMP or Photoshop. Naturally I thought I'd give it a try in Inkscape and lo and behold it was pretty darn easy. The toughest part is finding a suitable photograph that works well for this effect.

You'll also have to indulge me for about the first minute or so of the screencast where I've created a *really really* hacked together intro using only 3 ingredients:

Inkscape + Beryl + Music

This past week, I found some really cool music by Arthur Yoria over at Magnatune. I purchased the album and used track 10 for the intro music **. Then I decided I'd simply use Inkscape to create a screencast video intro. I spiced it up a bit using the Beryl zoom feature as well ;). It's a little over a minute of hacked together badness.

Don't laugh too hard! And let me know how much you liked it or hated it. ;)

I also figured out how to use Avidemux to extract the audio tracks, Audacity to mix in the music and adjust levels and then Avidemux once again to create the final video. Hopefully you'll find it somewhat interesting and helpful.

** If you watch the screencast and like the music, Magnatune allows me to legally provide full quality copies to 3 people. If you're interested in getting the album (for free), send me an email (rfquerinATgmailDOTcom)and I will provide you with the link so you can download the album which is available in a wide variety of formats too. I've listened to it quite a bit this week and I really like it. Magnatune rocks!

Also, huge thanks to Alan Pope for his great post on creating screencasts which let me know exactly how to use Avidemux for my purposes - great stuff.

Here's the screencast...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Richard,

I really like the 3D photo effects (I'm going to give that a try) and your screencast is very good. The musical intro is great.

It's clear that your skills at Inkscape and producing screencast are growing by leaps and bounds.

I find it all very interesting...thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

I was just trying this exact same type of project today with Inkscape. Your method was really great. I had never known how powerful Object to Pattern could be (I had never used it). I was working with the original image and masks...which is far messier.

Thanks for the great work!

RichardQuerin said...

Thanks for the positive comments. Yeah, the Object to Pattern tool could be used for all kinds of neat effects since the patch can be anything you want.

Glad you guys found it useful.

RichardQuerin said...

Duhh.. while the 'patch' can indeed be anything you want, I think the word I wanted to type was 'path'... ;)

Anonymous said...

Very good screencast!

I added it to www.welovescreencasts.com (as usual..) please continue with this inkscape series. I am learning a lot!

Thanks!
Santi

http://www.welovescreencasts.com/?q=inkscape-photo-popping-fun