Thursday, October 25, 2007

One for the Mac guys out there...

While I don't necessarily like Apple's relatively closed system. I do hold their designers (both industrial and graphic) in high regard. So why then does their new Leopard packaging remind me of a GeoCities webpage motif?

The problem with raising the bar is that you have to meet it every time after that.

Btw, I've watched the Leopard tour video just to see how the other half lives. I've got more thoughts on that to come, but one thing sticks out. Is it just me, or does the Aqua blue (or graphite) scroll bar just seem to stick out of their new interface like a very sore (and very shiny) thumb. I think the glass buttons for drop down lists etc. still look decent in the various dialog boxes, but when those scroll bars pop up on a general application window they just look completely out of place with the rest of the interface.

Have the aqua controls finally worn out their stay?



Blogged with Flock

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

one of the Mac guys...

..ok that's me. ;-)

I'm afraid that some of those design issues you pointed out may be Vista eye-candy influenced.

I'm certainly not a fan of going that route but I've got no doubt that Microsoft's "Pretty Vista" played into some of the final design targets. We'll have to live with it for a while to see if it's a user plus or minus.

Hey, at least there's only one version, with everything included. :-)

It's being said that Leopard is evolutionary rather then revolutionary.

Apple has been releasing a major update about every 18 months since first introducing OS X, but it's still OS X, which is not a bad thing.