Thursday, May 04, 2006

ZBrush Demo - Wacky GUI

A while back I saw a post about ZBrush, which is a 3D modeling application. I've dabbled a little bit with 3D Studio in the past and use AutoCAD quite extensively for work (although exclusively in 2D). So I thought I'd check out their demo (10 day runnable demo I believe). The things it can create are just amazing. Taking a brief look, it's completely obvious that I would need a ton of spare time (something I don't have) to even begin to fiddle with this thing properly. But what really blew me away was the GUI. It's completely non-standard as compared to any other Windows (or Mac) app I've seen and appears to be almost laughably complex (to a newbie anyway). It took me a good 30 seconds of scanning the screen to figure out how to even open a file! It almost harkens back to old versions of 3DStudio. I'm sure the interface gets the job done properly, but if you're the type of person who thinks that standardized/simplified interfaces are the way of the future, then definitely DON'T check out ZBrush. The zoom menu alone almost gave me motion sickness! :) Here's a screenshot.

0 comments: