Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Speed Linking? Didn't know it was called that - but I like it.

David Airey posts about 'speed linking'. I had never heard the term before, but I've seen plenty of it. In fact, Kent Newsome's Evening Reading posts could be termed speed-link posts and are among my favourite reads.

It's actually a pretty accurate term too. I find myself zipping through Kent's ER posts very quickly. I find them to be low commitment - that is, I go in knowing they're not going to be in-depth dissertations on a single topic - which in itself is not necessarily a bad thing. I enjoy a good long well-written post, but at times I want something lighter and fast-paced. He gives me his quick take on a variety of topics and provides the links should I want them. No pressure. In and out.

And it's not a simple link blog post. I get to see what things are piquing Kent's interest at the moment along with his take on them. And it's fun - because I never know what I'm going to find in there. The writing style has a lot to do with it too. Someone pointing me to their delicious links or to their Google Reader shared feeds is NOT the same thing.

I'm not sure how long Kent (or David) spends crafting these things. I fly through them quickly and they 'read quickly' if that means anything, but I imagine they're not so quick to put together. I'd be interested in hearing for instance how long it takes Kent to put together one of his evening reads. David? Kent?

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Richard,

The post of mine that you graciously link to is my first ever speed link.

It'll obviously take longer to craft my first one than any subsequent one, because I write about what speed linking is. Now I've published that any subsequent posts will be much quicker to create.