Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Screencasting Workflow Mess

I was a bit overwhelmed last night putting together my last screencast. The actual recording of the screencast was done early last week and took about 25 minutes. But last night I set about getting things in order to upload things to the site and to YouTube. Needless to say the whole process was a dog's breakfast and took me several times longer than it should have.

So in order to try and get a handle on it, I've used Gliffy to do up a simple flowchart (see below) of the shameful process I used. You will plainly see that I don't know what I'm doing. But that shouldn't be news to anyone. ;)

Have a look if your interested and give me some suggestions if you see some step or process that is plainly retarded.

I'm going to try and streamline this mess so that it doesn't take me 3 hours of fiddling to get things online once I finish recording a screencast. We'll see how that goes. ;)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

YIKES! We sure make it complicated for ourselves don't we?

Anonymous said...

I use CamStudio/LZO for capture and CamStudio/GZIP9 for all other steps. Lossless RGB all the way. Only at the very end I use lossy stuff.

Lossless video codecs work pretty well for screencasts, because there are very little changes from frame to frame.

I just checked ep026 out... 198Kbps for the video and 128Kbps for the audio. The audio bitrate can be reduced to 48-64 if you use a better codec then mp3 (like ogg vorbis, aac or he-aac). You may need a better container format then tho.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for using Gliffy to illustrate your points--hope it was helpful to you. If you have comments or suggestions, we welcome the feedback: support at gliffy dot com
Thanks again for using and mentioning Gliffy! debik at gliffy dot com