Monday, September 24, 2007

For Gnome fans trapped in XP

For the last month or so, I've been running Openbox on my Ubuntu Feisty home system. I like the simplicity and speed of it. It takes a little more manual work to customize it, but then again you end up with a system that works the way you want it. It's like taking a standard desktop environment like Gnome and removing (or hiding) all the bits that are not important to what it is you do every day. Eliminate the fluff, so to speak. I run a very sharp and slick looking Murrina-type theme on it. I don't bounce around between a lot of different themes, but I have to say that the Murrina style themes are definitely my favourite.

Anyway, at work I'm stuck on XP-Pro. I do have Virtualbox installed to run a virtual environment that is pretty much the same as my Linux box at home (Openbox on Fiesty etc.). And for probably a year now, I've ran a Gnome theme in XP on my work box to at least make it a little more homey ;).

Today however, I came across WinGNOME-XP on deviantART which is a project that aims to provide various resources to allow users to experience a consistent Gnome-type desktop environment on Windows XP. I'll sign up for that!

Of course the project is just getting organized, so there are only a couple of things available so far. One neat utility is the Tango Patcher which will replace or revise your system resources to provide icon themes based on various Linux projects (basic Tango, Tangerine, Suse Industrial Theme, Gnome 2.0 theme..). I ran it on my system and it seemed to work fine - although like any utilities of this type, it's caveat emptor.

I also downloaded and installed the MurrinaFancyClearlooks theme which finally got my windows controls looking somewhat like my home box.

It ain't perfect, but at least I can now be somewhat happy with the look and feel of the XP box I have to spend all day with. Here's what it looks like now:



Blogged with Flock

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

WinGNOME-XP on deviantART...

Isn't that like putting lipstick on a pig?

;-)

Simón A. Ruiz said...

I recently did this to my XP box at home.

If you must have a pig in the house, it doesn't hurt to deodorize him...

WinGNOME.XP said...

Thanks for the great write up & spreading the word!
Thanks also to Simón for his humorous reply. :)

Anonymous said...

More stupid comments by morons. Linux sucks.

RichardQuerin said...

Very nice of you to describe your own comment 'anonymous'. Grow some balls next time and put your name down when you comment.

Oh yeah, almost forgot... Thanks for reading.