Thursday, March 16, 2006

Black and White Conversion 101

I've been keen lately on learning to do a better B/W conversion of my images. And up to this point it's been really hit or miss. Some results have been better than others.

Normally, I'm the type that really likes to understand what it is I'm doing. I don't like recipes for a solution, I want to know the principles - or at least some of them - behind the solution. That way I can adapt that solution to suit my needs better. Good engineering depends on this.

By chance tonight I came across a post by Tony Federna that does just that. He explains quite lucidly, the principles behind a good colour to B/W conversion. If you've ever wondered why some B/W conversions are better than others, this is a good starting point. I will be staying tuned for more.

0 comments: