Friday, December 14, 2007

What's Your Favourite Application/Project Name?

I just responded to a comment on one of my blog posts about various aspects of the free and open-source OS world versus Windows. One part of that discussion was about application naming, with the commenter suggesting that more descriptive naming would be an important thing to have. While I'm in agreement theoretically, my heart just isn't there. I love a creatively named application or project.

One of my favourite application names is Inkscape (and not just because I love the program too - which I do - that name is just uber-cool to me). But there are other good ones like: BlueFish, XSane, Opera, DamnSmallLinux, SeaMonkey and F-Spot.

There are of course other names I don't like, with Gimp, Avidemux and Pidgin immediately springing to mind.

Of course none of this has anything to do with how well the applications work.

What's your favourite application, distro, or project name (open or closed, free or non-free)? Which ones do you hate?

Blogged with Flock

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Goody, I wanna play!

How about BitchX?...the old irc client.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitchX

Simón A. Ruiz said...

I actually like the name Pidgin. From the first time I heard it I thought it was an excellent, and appropriate, name for the project.

I really dug the name GNOME when I first started playing with it, cause someone told me they thought it was pronounced "GeNOME, like DNA".

I think the Mozilla names are cool. I'd much rather browse the web with a flaming canid familiar than a long musical performance or a topple-prone SUV, for instance. ;-)

Oh, and I dig Python.