Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Big Gramma turns 100!

[Update: Evelyn and the clan made the evening newscast! Click here to check it out. Also make sure to see our little one tap dancing at around the 1 minute mark!!]

My wife's grandmother turns 100 today! Up until about 7 months ago, she was still living on her own in her own house, and up until a few years ago, was shovelling her own snow (until neighbours and family finally gave her enough guff about it to stop). My esteemed brother-in-law, who posts far too infrequently, but is never short of words when he does, gives a nice summary of the wonderful lady right here. If you'd like to leave good wishes, head over there and comment.

If there's one thing I treasure about Evelyn, it is her sense of humour. While as prim and proper as you'd ever want while out socializing, she could always be trusted to trade crude humour with yours truly.

A few of the wonderfully naughty sayings (mostly Welsh in origin I'd imagine) that she's taught me over the years:

1. She was like shit to a blanket. (describing a whining needy child)
2. He couldn't drive a stiff dick into a tub of lard.
3. Short and thick does the trick, but long and thin will get it in.
4. It was so long that you could wrap it around and make a jug-handle out of it.


Ev's had some trouble with the hearing aids lately, and has moved into a retirement home in the last few months, but she's still pretty mobile. And as frail as she might be getting, her spirit is still fully intact.

Watching her enjoy a healthy shot of Baileys while we opened gifts during the holidays was truly a wonderful thing.

Hope everyone had a wonderful past couple of weeks too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Richard:

I'd never heard some of those sayings but I was laughing out loud reading them. :) I watched the video and what a lively 100. Also, your daughter is going to be a heartbreaker. I don't envy you when she wants to start dating! LOL

Thanks for sharing this.

Earl

RichardQuerin said...

Hi Earl,

Thanks for the comment. As far as my daughter goes, when she was born I was constantly telling people that I was part way through getting a firearms licence! It's ok, I'll let her out of the house when she reaches 18. ;)