Monday, January 15, 2007

Random Notes on Random Notes...

Reading through Hugh McLeod's random notes on blogging, I realized he had both missed something and illustrated something at the same time. Blogging with humility *and* blogging with authority are not mutually exclusive.

Humility builds respect and adds to your authority, arrogance and snarky-ness take away from it.

Hugh's list reads very snarky to me. Almost snarky for snarky's sake. Good for building readership maybe, not so good for building authority IMO.

Doc Searls (and Jon Udell) on the other hand, are masters at blogging with authority sans arrogance.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Good for building readership maybe, not so good for building authority IMO."

I would guess naming one's blog "Rennaisance Man" would be good for neither readership nor authority.

IMO.

RichardQuerin said...

Thanks for commenting Hugh. But where in the world did you get the idea I was into building either? I'd be the first one to say I had failed if those were indeed my goals. I'm one of the millions of interested in blogging not business models.

Also in a rare instance of snarkyness (you won't find it much here): if you're going to quote my blog's title, at least get the spelling right. ;)

RichardQuerin said...

See.. I'm so hapless that I can't even get my comment responses right! That should have read: "I'm one of the millions of *people* interested in blogging not business models".

Anonymous said...

First rule of comment snark: never make a typo.

Second rule of comment snark: Never make a typo when snarking about someone else's typo.

;-)

RichardQuerin said...

I guess we stand corrected. :)