Thursday, January 18, 2007

Rawstudio, partitioning, screencasts and more!

In the midst of fending off pre-vacation work overload a few bits and bobs have been occupying my spare time. Think of this as my pre-vacation brain dump:

Another call to my ISP confirmed that they had already sent me a replacement DSL modem. It arrived this past Wednesday, was installed that evening and seems to have cured all that ails me in the connectivity department.

I've also been learning a little about partitioning in Linux. I've shrunk my ntfs partition and created a separate 60GB partition for my photos. It took a little doing, but with a little (ok..a lot of) help with the great people on ubuntuforums.org I managed to get it accomplished and learned something in the process.

I've also joined the Ubuntu screencasts team (at the behest of Will Simpson) to see if I can contribute something to the community there. We'll see if I ever get the time (and the USB mic), but hey, I'm always up for a challenge.

Another thing worthy of noting is that Rawstudio is *really* coming along nicely. This is a free and open source app that handles RAW image conversion for Linux. The latest patches have implemented batch processing - something Rawstudio users have been waiting for a long time. Kudos to AndersK and AndersB for creating such a great app! It's still a small group, so any issues I've brought up on the Rawstudio mailing list have been answered very quickly. Clearly digital photography workflow on Linux is already well developed and like everything else in the Linux space, things are progressing at a fast and furious pace. It's kind of nice to be somewhat involved the process too. ;)

Again, the world of Linux is broadening my knowledge. With Rawstudio, in order to get the latest patches I had to get accustomed to checking out the source from subversion, applying patch files and compiling. With a few quick questions to the friendly guys on the Rawstudio mailing list, I was up and running the latest patches no problem.

So that's where I sit at the moment. Living, learning and not blogging about it often enough ;) Some things never seem to change.

1 comments:

Donncha said...

Excellent news about Rawstudio. I'll have to check out the SVN version soon and give it a whirl again!

Donncha