Saturday, May 14, 2005

Plan of Attack - Part Deux

Well in bits and bobs over the past couple of days, I managed to re-write the guts of the timesheet summary program I was developing for work using Python. The original go at it was written in C++ and was rife with problems. I was able to write the mechanics of it (no GUI yet, but this is coming) in Python much much quicker than in C++. The code itself is probably 15% of the size of the C++ version and the surprising thing is that I did it much quicker even though this was my first experience with Python programming.

I now have to put a pretty face on it using wxPython and call it a day. I want to get into developing a project database app for work as well and I think Python will be perfectly suited for this task. It's so much more enjoyable learning this language compared with the years of off-and-on toiling with C and C++. I will try to keep blogging about my progress as if someone actually was interested.. :)

0 comments: