Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Podcasting news coming fast and furious it seems..

Interesting article
about an AM radio station in San Francisco that will be broadcasting listener generated content. A few things strike me as disappointing (although pragmatic) limitations: FCC licensing and the lack of downloadable archives.

Why is it that the big cheese's willingness to pay licensing fees for podcasters to play music is such a big deal in all these schemes? If I wanted to hear music that is licensed for broadcast play I'd listen to the damned radio!

One other thing that is forgotten or maybe not realized yet, is that I value the ability to pick what I want, any mix of what I want. What they're proposing sounds like it will be public access radio. Sure it's grass roots, but *I* have no control over what I get to hear, someone else does. I know it's a local broadcast solution...but it really seems like a last gasp shot in the dark to me. Just put the stuff in a place I can get to it. I don't want you to decide what I get, in what order, of what quality, that's the frickin beauty of it right now!

One of the best podcasts I've heard on this topic, in fact one of the best podcasts I've heard to date is one by PBCliberal. A recommended listen for sure.

So the list of what I like about podcasting is growing as I realize it..kinda like you don't know what you've got till it's gone... intimacy, freedom of speech, download on demand, sheer freedom of distribution and archiving...let's see what else the big boys miss in all of this.

A side note that made me chuckle is that the article had a web ad for the Senseo coffee maker, an ad which always featured prominently on Adam Curry's site! ;)

0 comments: