Monday, May 02, 2005

Podcasting at a Crossroads?

There is a heck of a lot of discussion going on with the recent announcement that Adam Curry has cut a deal with Sirius satellite radio. I haven't looked into it enough to comment, but as expected, not everyone is necessarily happy about it. More and more I get the feeling that the intimacy of podcasts - the part I like and treasure so much - is not going to be a part of the monetization of it this time around anyway. Hopefully the more personal podcasts will continue to be produced and enjoyed. I'm not sure how well broadcasted podcasts will work.

Speaking of my preference for more personal podcasts, Dave Winer's thunderstorm podcast was a truly enjoyable one. It was exactly what I love about his solo Morning Coffee Notes podcasts, they are personal, insightful and horribly honest and simple. Something broadcast radio is definitely not. Happy Belated Birthday Dave!

0 comments: