Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Inkscape Screencast 9 - Glass Button Redux


My 9th Inkscape screencast is up. This one shows a simple way to achieve a pretty convincing high-gloss candy look to various shapes.

This one was created in record time for me too. From the moment I fired up ffmpeg to start recording, through the intro recording, sound and music mixing, until starting the upload to YouTube took about 90 minutes. I didn't take a lot of time creating the intro for this one (and it shows), but overall it's still decent I think. Hopefully you like it.

I haven't had a lot of time to spend using Inkscape lately, simply because I'm currently buried at work (which has absolutely nothing to do with Inkscape or graphics at all ;-< ). But I did read on the mailing list somewhere that the most recent builds incorporate gradient editing right on the object (not in a separate dialog). That feature would have been useful for this screencast, but no sense in demonstrating a feature that few people can use right now. Here's the link to my other screencasts up on YouTube. You should also check out my friend heathenx's screencasts. I've learned quite a few good tips from him too.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You don't need to convert to path that many times, in fact you only need to do it between the two dynamic offset appearances - when you do intersection, the result is always a path.

apart form that, neat trick.

Anonymous said...

Richard,
I can't play this screencast from your blog. It's like there's no link. You click it and nothing happens.

RichardQuerin said...

@tooto - Thanks for the tip. You're absolutely correct about not having to convert to path so many times. Thats what's so great about useful comments, I learn from them too. :)

@earl - I'm not sure why you can't view it on the blog - works fine for me. But I've updated the post to link directly to the video on YouTube.