Thursday, September 28, 2006

Getting Involved and RAW processing on Linux

As a big supporter of free and open-source software and the community that supports it, but having exceedingly crappy coding chops, it's been a little frustrating trying to actually participate in any meaningful way. However I've finally taken the advice given by the LugRadio guys on several different episodes and found another way to get involved.

Back at the beginning of August I wrote a post called More RAW on Linux Goodness. In this post I mentioned the RawStudio project who's aim is to produce a simple, easy to use RAW converter application for Linux. I've followed the project's mailing lists and use the app whenever I get the chance. So in a bold move (for me anyway), I inquired about helping out. Documentation is an important but often neglected portion of many open-source projects and this seemed a great fit for my interests (writing and photography being two of them). So I did some reading on DocBook and Subversion (SVN)- both of which I knew absolutely nothing about - and asked how to get involved.

So a very rough base document for a Getting Started Guide was very recently made available via SVN and I've actually made some revisions and corrections and did my first ever commit tonight. Needless to say, I'm quite proud of myself. Hehe.

If you're interested in digital photography on Linux then check out Rawstudio. It's shaping up to be a really useful application - hopefully with good documentation to boot! :)

(PS - many thanks to AndersB, AndersK, MartinE and others on the mailing list for answering my unending newbie questions - and providing great info!).

0 comments: