Saturday, September 23, 2006

Podcast=Bleccch, Netcast=Yummm

Early this Saturday morning I read a post by Leo Laporte (posted even earlier this morning) about Apple sending a cease and desist letter to a software and services company called Podcast Ready claiming that the terms "Podcast Ready" and "myPodder" infringe on Apple trademarks. He makes some great points:

Now I'm far FAR away from being a religious person, but if there is a god, I beg him/her/it, "Please let this be true!!!!". Leo goes on to say that (like me) he really doesn't like the term 'podcast' anyway. In no way does Apple deserve to be construed as the inventor of podcasts or a required part of a podcasting system. That is not an angry shot at Apple, it's just fair.

Truth is, I've never liked the word podcast. It causes confusion. In the past couple of days two people have told me that they can't listen to my shows because they "don't own an iPod." I have to explain constantly that podcasts can be listened to on computers, phones, MP3 players, and CDs, as well as iPods, but because of the name the confusion persists. And now Apple is threatening people who use the word.

Further he suggests using the term "netcast". I fully agree. It's more accurate, better sounding and a nice little pun to boot. Will it happen? Maybe not. But man do I ever wish it would! And don't for a second suggest 'audioblog'... if there is an uglier name than 'podcast' then it's got to be 'blog'.

Now how do we get 'netcast' into widespread use? Well this is why I beg and pray that Apple decides to fight companies using the term. It will make adopting a new term so much easier.

Anyone heard any great NETCASTS anyone?

0 comments: