Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Gnome Turns 10 - as does the Gnome/KDE war

So the Gnome desktop environment turns 10 today. Of course I took a look at Miguel de Icaza's announcement post. But I found the single follow-up post to be interesting too! ;)

On Fri, 15 Aug 1997, Miguel de Icaza wrote:
> We want to develop a free and complete set of user friendly
> applications and desktop tools, similar to CDE and KDE but based
> entirely on free software:

IMHO this is a knee-jerk reaction to a nonexistent problem.

Best of luck doing this with GTK... it has a long ways to catch up
with Qt.

-Dan

Clearly not only the start of Gnome, but the start of the Gnome/KDE wars too! :)

Personally, I have always ran Ubuntu with Gnome, but I run KDE and GTK apps interchangably. Besides, my new found love is OpenBox anyway!!

Here are a couple of screenshots of my current desktop setup:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Richard, that's a beautiful setup! I have to dig into Openbox a bit!

Marc

RichardQuerin said...

Thanks marc! I set it up recently and discussed it quite a bit over in this thread in the LinuxReality forums. There are some nice setups there to look at and discuss.

I was thinking about doing a post or two about my experiences with OpenBox once I learn a little more about it and fine-tune my setup.