Saturday, August 25, 2007

The Vacation Return Quick Post

Today we arrived back from a week's vacation up in Fort Irwin, Ontario. We rented a 4-bedroom cottage on a nice quiet lake and recharged the proverbial batteries.

We had family up for a few days to join the three of us, which added a little hullabaloo, but all in all it was a nice relaxing week off.

A little fishing, a lot of eating (too much as usual) and some early nights - fresh air will do that to you - felt quite good actually. And while we had satellite internet connectivity, I never really felt like browsing. Just a little email checking and the odd wistful cottage real-estate searching was all it amounted to.

And it was surprisingly easy to just delete the hundreds of unread feeds in my reader tonight. Not to worry for the chosen few (actually it's in the tens) in my close-knit feed group.. those got scanned, starred and read tonight.

A few things learned this week:

1. My daughter can cast a fishing rod! - and has no fear of slimy, squirming worms!

2. Even though neither my 5 year old daughter nor her 14 month old cousin need glasses, they both love to wear them!

3. Satellite internet and it's associated lag times pretty much sucks compared to full-on DSL.

4. My wife had never been to a county dump/landfill before. I think she was expecting some semblance of cleanliness. The big pile of rotting garbage bags and it's associated seagull party-place environment came unexpected to her.;)

5. A chipmunk can squeeze 10 unshelled peanuts into it's cheeks without so much as a sideways glance. Now if only I could do that with pizza...

6. The call of loons on the lake in the morning is indeed one of life's greatest sounds.

The relative quiet and inactivity did give me some time to both unload the claptrap I call my mind, and do a little more photography than usual. I think the biggest pressure I feel at the moment is to sort through the 250 odd photos, pick out the better ones and update my Flickr gallery. But that will sit for another few days. In the meantime, I thought I'd upload a few of them directly here:




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok...I have always thought that your daughter was a cutie (hopefully...she doesn't look anything like you) but the baby with the glasses on is hilarious. That will be a "classic" picture for the family.

RichardQuerin said...

My daughter gets her brains and good looks from me. My wife is responsible for her fashion sense. And believe me that is a good thing! ;)

And yes, when I checked that photo of her little cousin with the glasses on the camera's lcd, I knew it was a family classic. :)