Saturday, August 04, 2007

A source for free comic fonts...


Among the 1001 other things I've wanted to learn more about is comic design and creation. A nice find this week was the Comic Tools Blog. Via that blog, I found a homey 90's looking website of the very experienced comic letterer Todd Klein. Lots of interesting information there.

Of course, being into Inkscape I was keen on the computerized end of things. Long story short, I ended up at the Blambot Comic Fonts and Lettering site. They sell a wide range of comic fonts, but wouldn't you know - they also offer several high quality free fonts for non-commercial use.

I'm sure experienced comic artists already know all this stuff, so for any of you aspiring web comic artists out there, you might want to check it out.

Incidentally, one of the free fonts there was called Evil Genious. Dave Slusher would be proud. ;)

ps - Come to think of it, I miss Earl's comic-captioned photos too. Where'd they go Earl?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Richard,
I was thinking the other day that it's been a long time since I did one of those photo comics.
I suspect one's going to show up any day now. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Great fine! I can recommend a great study of the Comic Arts in a series of books by Scott McCloud. Understanding Comics, Reinventing Comics and Making Comics. I can't yet draw and never have read a comic book but these books layout the art in a compelling way. Check them out.

Scott sketches the panels scans them to a illustrator application on the MAC and uses a Wacom tablet to finish. He had made a custom font for his lettering.