Tuesday, May 29, 2007

The bigger picture - Facebook? Uh.. no.

Kent Newsome weighs in even more on the Social Networking v. blogging issue. His last statement strikes a real chord with me:

"I think the social networking closed site as online Mecca story is a myth driven by people who want to keep the content producing public behind the walls so they can make money off of the content they produce."
And while I'm not focused on making money on the content I produce (would be a nice side-benefit), I am interested in getting it out to the world - not to my fellow Facebook members or my MySpace friends. I want the meager contribution I make to be reachable by anyone wanting to read or watch it.

And the conversational aspect is no different. I want to hear from people interested in what I'm interested in, no matter where they are, no matter what their stripe.

I want to participate in the bigger picture - as Dave Winer put it the other day, "the wild wild web, the unbounded frontier". Facebook, MySpace, Virb and the like, are definitely not the bigger picture, no matter how much money they make for their
creators.

0 comments: