Wednesday, May 09, 2007

What's in a name...

Todd Cochrane blogs about a recent WSJ article on the importance of how well your name Googles. It's been a while since I Googled my own name, but back in the day, I was the 2nd or third entry. There are relatively few benefits to having a last name like mine. But in the age of Google, it definitely ain't hurtin' my page rank. ;)

Currently when I type my first and last name into Google I get 30,600 hits. The first result that is not 'me' is at the very bottom of the third page!  - I pwn Google biatch! :)

But with great power comes great responsibility... I have been at the same engineering firm for over 10 years now. If I ever went looking for a new job, I'd better be proud (or at least not embarassed) about what pops up in those first three pages of results.

Scanning those 29 hits, my only concern might be that you'd think I was a programmer/graphic artist/photographer - there is nothing about structural engineering anywhere in those first three pages. While I enjoy what I do, it's not something I blog about or participate in online.

Besides, I'm happy where I am, but if I did end up switching jobs, I'd probably be keen for something in programming/graphic arts/photography. :)

What's your Googability?

ps. I've also got Meandering Passage riding my coattails at the bottom of the first page of results. You're welcome Earl! ;)






6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You also rank very highly for "renaissance man" (fairly obviously, lol). I was wandering around looking for some leonardo da vinci information a while back and ended up staying...

RichardQuerin said...

"I was wandering around looking for some leonardo da vinci information a while back and ended up staying... "

That's just awesome. Da Vinci being one of my all-time heroes. He was the basis of me naming this thing Renaissance Man when I started 2+ years ago.

In fact, my previous header graphic used to have Vitruvian Man as the logo. :) May revisit that some day...

Anonymous said...

He's a hero of mine too :)

I have recently been reading Barbara Sher's book "What do I do when I want to do everything?" - about Scanners, a personality type who have many interests (jack of all trades, master of many). Leonardo is held up as the ideal Scanner :)

RichardQuerin said...

"I have recently been reading Barbara Sher's book..."

Uncanny. Did you read this post that I wrote about a year ago? I have read the book, and consider myself a 'scanner' too.

You're my ideal reader I guess. ;)

Now don't go telling me you run linux and use Inkscape...

Anonymous said...

Oooo no hadn't seen that :) Am off to read it now! Great to meet a fellow scanner :)

I don't run linux, I'm afraid - Windows Vista (yes, I know... I compensate by using Firefox, but I like computer games and it made more sense)... Inkscape?

RichardQuerin said...

Inkscape is an free and open source vector graphics editor. It's the open-source equivalent to Adobe Illustrator. Quite a fun application - for me anyway. ;)