Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Ok Scoble, but what about search feeds and starred posts?

I was watching this video of Robert Scoble discussing his feed reading system. I found it quite interesting and Scoble, as always, seems so honest and enthusiastic about what he does. You can tell he really loves it. Nice.

Of course there were snippets that undoubtedly would rile up some segment of small struggling tech bloggers, like scanning the headings and bylines for authors he knows and relegating ones he doesn't to the trash. There was also his mention of how he finds the small guys by paying attention to what the 'A-List' bloggers link to. Not exactly what "Joe Smith" was wanting to hear I imagine.

But one thing I didn't hear Robert mention was search feeds. I know that I have several Technorati and Google Blogsearch result feeds that give me posts that I would completely miss otherwise. I've found many new and wonderful blogs that way. I've got search feeds for things like 'Inkscape', 'Vim', 'wxPython' and some others. I've also used Chris Pirillo's gada.be engine (now called tagjag it seems) to good effect as well.

So why wouldn't Scoble use a Technorati feed with the term 'tablet pc'?

Sure these blog search feeds do generate a fair amount of noise, but it's fairly easy to sift through, and like I say, you can find some gems that you'd have otherwise missed. The other benefit is that they're transient. I can delete, or modify those search result feeds as my short term interests change (which they do all the time it seems).

So the questions go out to Robert and everyone else, do you use Feed searches? If so, what blog search engine do you use? And how do you use them?

ps - I'm also a huge fan of the 'starred post' feature in Google Reader. I use this as a rudimentary rating system so that I can quickly scan feeds and mark off interesting ones for later reading (I don't have all day to read these things) so it's nice to be able to keep track with something easier and far more efficient than something like say, del.icio.us .

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I use a couple of Technorati search feeds for some stuff I like to watch. I just recently added a couple of Google search feeds for the same subjects to compare. Agreed, there's noise to sift through, but I'm guilty of scanning those quickly. However, like you, I've found some real nuggets that have made there way into my regular reading.

Matthew Cornell said...

Thanks for the post - I agree about search feeds. Funny he didn't mention them...

Scobleizer said...

I do use those, but rarely in my feed reader because I find they increase the noise too much. Instead I just go over to Google's BlogSearch and do a variety of searches there to see if anything has changed on the topic areas I care about.