Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Google Reader... they're chipping away at me again...

Back in December of last year I was trying out NewsGator online as an alternative to Bloglines. It never quite worked out for me. I didn't like the interface all that much (much prettier, but seemed significantly slower). Now I've given the latest Google Reader a try for a couple of days and I have to say I like it!

I do all my personal email stuff via my Gmail account and have for quite some time now. Google Reader has a lot of that same feel. I find it every bit as useful as Bloglines and then some. While I haven't evaluated every feature against Bloglines - I'm no Bloglines poweruser that's for sure - , I can say that it has made reading my feeds significantly easier and more enjoyable. Heck, it's not even "ugly" like Gmail ;)

I see today that they've combined Writely and Google spreadsheet into the beginning of an office app. I haven't moved wholesale to Google apps quite yet. I use GMail quite heavily (I'm writing this post with it right now) and of course their blogsearch and websearch, but at work I still can't break my Excel habit (part of being an engineer I guess) and Picasa is just not up my alley for image-related stuff. Still, they're chipping away at me and Google Reader is one more thing they've got me using.

Now if they would only do a free AutoCAD clone that runs on Linux. Har Har..


0 comments: