Friday, November 10, 2006

Kent's Close Encounters

Kent Newsome has a great post about being at the same location as the Web 2.0 conference and meeting some of the people he's blogged about in the past.

While sadly Kent seems to be a little bored with blogging lately I wonder if meeting all of those people will affect what (or who) he writes about. And perhaps more importantly how he writes it. Is it a shot to claim it will affect his blogging? I don't think so.

It's easy for us to lay into someone in a blog post. I don't do it very often but I've done it. And I know way back in my head somewhere is the assumption that I will never meet that person. It doesn't mean I start name-calling and attacking but it *does* give me a little too much freedom to write things. Honestly, I think it would be difficult for me to be anything but nice writing about someone after having a favourable personal conversation with them. But I think that's a good thing.

Letting personal interaction affect your writing might not make for an exciting blogosphere if you're a fan of the hit and run blog post. But if you're aim is to turn the whole thing into a conversation, then encounters like Kent had are vital to achieving it.


0 comments: