Thursday, November 09, 2006

Linux Reality and Open Source Vector Graphics Applications

I've been participating in an ongoing thread over in the LinuxReality forums lately. LR is a great weekly podcast by Chess Griffin which is aimed at the new linux user (like me). Recently Chess was pondering for a change in the logo graphic that he's currently using and there are a few people posting some ideas for discussion there. If you want to read the thread you can check it out here.

Anyway, as part of that discussion someone brought Xara Xtreme to my attention. This is a vector graphics application recently ported to Linux. I dabble with Inkscape now and again and love it. Xara has been around for 10 years in the Windows space and is supposed to be even more powerful than Inkscape.

I'm no graphics expert as it is, and I'm likely using about 10% of what Inkscape can do so Xara would likely be overkill for me. I thought it was worth mentioning since I'd never heard of it before and anyone out there with a penchant for graphic design might find it quite useful.

Also note that they sell versions to the Windows market but are providing the Linux version as open source, for free.

Remember, I've never tried it myself, but if you try it or already use it, your opinions would be much appreciated.

0 comments: