Monday, November 27, 2006

Tablet Woes + GIMP = Frustration

I haven't had a chance to edit many photos lately - too busy fooling around with Inkscape and trying to write a blog post every day in November I guess ;)

However I finally made some time and brought up the GIMP (the Linux equivalent to Photoshop for all intents and purposes). I quickly found out that my Graphire3 tablet wasn't being recognized or at least recognized properly. I figured it was a result of my upgrade to Ubuntu Edgy Eft a while back or maybe my installation of Beryl threw my settings for a loop, and set about to correct the problem.

Well, it's 3 days later and still no luck. I've read, re-read and re-re-read several message threads about the subject on ubuntuforums.org and I must have edited my xorg.conf file six ways from Sunday - and yet still nothing.

Actually, 'nothing' is not really the correct term. The pointer moves, but only over a limited rectangular portion of the screen. And to make matters worse, the device is not recognized as an 'extended input device' in the GIMP which means pressure sensitivity is not enabled. If you've ever used one of these tablets for photo editing, you'd know that pressure sensitivity is what makes it infinitely better than a mouse for photo editing.

Anyhoo, rest assured that I will fix the problem come hell or high water. And when I do I will undoubtedly post about it.

1 comments:

Donncha said...

I'll be very interested to hear if you do fix it because buying a tablet is high on my shopping list but I've always been put off by possible lack of GIMP support.

Good luck!

Donncha